Since I’ve been doing Whole 30/dry January, I’ve had a ton of time on my hands on the weekends and in the evenings. I promised one of my co-workers who hasn’t gotten to try many of my pies that I would make one that coordinated with his schedule. So, I set off to make this seemingly easy pie on Thursday night to bring in on Friday. Turns out a meringue pie isn’t the best to make and store overnight, but that didn’t detract from taste so much as beauty.
What’s Inside: Meyer lemons, lemon zest, egg, sweetened condensed milk
1) Meyer lemons might be difficult to find, but it’s definitely worth the trouble to root around for them. You can use equal parts tangerine and regular lemon if you can’t find them, but I’m not sure it would do this pie justice.
2) I confess, I had a major rookie flub that turned out working out okay. My measuring spoons were in the dishwasher, so I was using a tiny measuring cup to collect four tablespoons of lemon zest. Except I needed four teaspoons and didn’t realize that until the pie was in the oven. Did it matter? No. But read your recipes and don’t turn the dishwasher on until after you’re done baking.
3) Never do I wish I invested in a standing mixer more than when I have to whip meringue. Don’t be discouraged by how long it takes and definitely don’t give up hope as you stand over your bowl, gripping your hand mixer as tight as possible, praying for stiff peaks.
4) This pie rises. If you have something that hangs down in the middle of your oven like I do, put your pie off center so it doesn’t hit. I was so sad to move it over and effectively peel the tip off of my meringue.
5) Apparently meringue weeps? Something having to do with humidity and condensation. I highly recommend making this pie immediately before serving so you don’t have to refrigerate and so the meringue doesn’t sink.
What Baking Can Do:
I’m told this pie was a big winner and a contender for Pi Day. But do I want to wake up at 6 am to make a pie that might sink or weep by the time I make it to work? Presentation counts!